This blog post has been written in an effort to share the best and most important high-yield pearls for FCPS Part 1 exam. These FCPS Part 1 Pearls have been written and compiled by Dr. Salahuddin Kamal who is known for his kindness and supportive behavior on the social media. And because of his experience and expertise, he has earned himself the title as the “FCPS Part 1 Guru”. These high-yield pearls for FCPS Part 1 have been written by Dr. Salahuddin Kamal himself and he provided us these pearls upon a simple request. It feels so great to know him! 🙂
For those who have not been following Medicos Republic on the FCPS Part 1 exam topic, here’s what you have missed:
But before we proceed to the High-Yield Pearls for FCPS Part 1 exam, let’s have a look at the author’s profile. 🙂
About Dr. Salahuddin Kamal
Dr. Salahuddin Kamal (popular for S.K Pearls) is a graduate of Hamdard University, School of Medicine. He has maintained outstanding academic records in his university life. He completed his house job in 2014 and passed FCPS Part 1 exam in 2015. Dr. Salahuddin is actively working for the doctor community, especially for FCPS Part 1 students.
He is the author of two books: SK Pearls of FCPS Part 1 & SK pearls of Gynae /Obs.
We, at the Medicos Republic heartily thank Dr. Salahuddin Kamal for his dedication and support towards the FCPS Part 1 aspirants! 🙂
Now let’s proceed to our main article:
High-Yield Pearls for FCPS Part 1
Here we are going to share with you important & high-yield pearls for the FCPS Part 1 exam which you can use for taking your preparation to the next level. We are also sharing with you a 156-page PDF file which contains all high-yield FCPS Part 1 pearls written by Dr. Salahuddin Kamal.
Here is the High-Yield Pearls for FCPS Part 1 PDF File:
Number of Pages: 156
File Size: 510 KB
Hosted at: Google Drive
A part of the documented has been posted below just to give you an idea:
- Hepatitis “D” Virus has HIGHEST mortality in ALL people
EXCEPT#Pregnancy. In Pregnant women: MOST LETHAL is Hepatitis E virus.
- “While calculating Serum Osmolality the serum Na is multiplied by 2 to account for the accompanying ANIONS (mostly Cl & HCO3).”
- Most Common cause of Metastasis to LIVER is primary cancers of
Lungs send metastasis to Liver.
- Ketamine is the ONLY induction agent that causes
Again: Ketamine is the ONLY induction agent that causes Bronchodilation.
- AANNencephaly: failure of AANNterior neuropore to close.(at day
SSSpinda Bifida: failure of poSSSterior neuropore to close.(at day 27)
- Muscle Spindles: Innervated by 1a fibers cause skeletal muscle
GTOs: innervated by 1b cause contracting muscle to RELAX
- In SSSpontaneous pneumothorax: trachea shifts to ipSSSilateral
In TTTension pneumothorax: trachea deviates to conTTTralateral
- Antibiotics SAFE in pregnancy:
Nitrofurantoin (Avoid in last trimester bcoz can cause hemolysis in
G6PD deficient fetus).
Metronidazole (SAFE in ALL trimesters).
- MICROcytic anemia + NORMAL iron studies* = Thalassemia.
*Iron studies = Serum Ferritin, TIBC etc
- Know the difference:
#Atopic Dermatitis: Type1 HS (Hyper Sensitivity)
#Contact Dermatitis: Type 4 HS.
- In CHRONIC Hepatitis:
Check serum #ALT to monitor THERAPY response (Followup)
Check #PT for look (rule out) Acute Liver FAILURE.
- IN Nephron:
Maximum reabsorption of H2O take place in Proximal Convoluted
Tubules, REGARDLESS to ADH status (present or absent).
Mass in ANTERIOR Mediastinum =THYMOMA.
Mass in POSTERIOR Mediastinum = NEUROGENIC TUMOR.
14) Most Common Congenital heart “#Lesion” = Bicuspid aortic valve.
Most Common Congenital heart “#Defect” = VSD.
- Increased neural activity #before a SKILLED Voluntary movement
is first seen in the “CORTICAL ASSOCIATION AREAS”.
- The ampullary region of Uterine tube:
The widest part of the Fallopian.
MOST COMMON SITE of Ectopic Pregnancy &
MOST COMMON SITE of Fertilization.
- The ONLY gynecological cancer that is staged clinically, NOT
surgically is cervical cancer.
- The ONLY hematologic disease that causes hyperchromic
microcytosis is Hereditary Spherocytosis.
- The ONLY hematologic disease that causes iron deficiency
anemia DESPITE increase RBCs is Polycythemia Vera.
- The MOST COMMON thyroid CA is Papillary (Popular).
It also has Psammoma bodies on histology.
It causes Palpable lymph nodes (lymphatic spread)
- ALL Quinolones lack anaerobic coverage EXCEPT Moxifloxacin.
- COLD sensations are transmitted by myelinated “Adelta” fibers.
WARM sensations are transmitted by unmyelinated “C” fibers.
- Sigmoid Colon:
I) MOST COMMON (MC) site of Colorectal Carcinoma.
II) MC site of Volvulus in Elderly adults (in young > Cecum).
II) MC site of Diverticulosis.
24) Homocysteine level is ELEVATED in BOTH (Vit B 12 & Folate
deficiencies) While Methylmalonic Acid level is NORMAL in Folate &
ELEVATED in B12.
- ALL ßblockers are safe during gestation EXCEPT atenolol.
ALL ßblockers are safe during gestation EXCEPT atenolol.
- Ectopic Pregnancy:
Most Common site: Ampulla.
Most common site for Rupture: Isthmus.
- In SIADH = Serum Osmolarity DECreased
In Water Deprivation: Serum Osmolarity HIGH or Normal
- Oral Cavity:
Premalignant CONDITIONS = Submucous Fibrosis & Lichen planus.
Premalignant LESIONS = Erythroplakia & Leukoplakia.
- All the EXTENSION movements (Elbow, Wrist, Fingers) of Upper
Limb is innervated by Radial Nerve
- Treatment of Hyperthyroidism in Pregnancy:
Propylthiouracil in FIRST trimester.
Methimazole AFTER the first trimester.
[If they didn’t mention Trimester in question then SELECT
- Urine extravasation in:
Penile urethra > SCROTUM
Bulbar > SUPERFICIAL perennial pouch
Prostatic urethra > DEEP perennial pouch
- All RNA viruses replicate in the cytoplasm of the host cell
EXCEPT for Influenza & HIV.
All RNA viruses are single stranded EXCEPT Reovirus.
All DNA viruses replicate in the nucleus of the host cell EXCEPT
All DNA viruses are double stranded EXCEPT Parvovirus.
- Tamoxifen is an estrogen receptor #AGONIST in the uterus.
#Raloxifene is an estrogen receptor #ANTAGONIST in the uterus.
Tamoxifen for #PREmenopausal women with high risk for breast
Raloxifene for #POSTmenopausal women with high risk for breast
- Isolated #6th cranial nerve palsy causes #HORIZONTAL diplopia.
Isolated #4th cranial nerve palsy causes #VERTICAL diplopia.
- Diagnostic Test for Streptococcal #INFECTION: blood
Diagnostic Test for Strep infection #COMPLICATIONS (Rh.
Fever/PSGN) : ASO titre.
- E. Coli is the:
MOST COMMON cause of Pyogenic Peritonitis (visceral perforation).
MOST COMMON cause of Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis
- Most Common #aspiration site is #Right #LOWER lobe (doesn’t
matter patient is standing, sitting, supine or dancing)
EXCEPTION: ONLY in ONE condition it can aspirate to Middle or
even Upper lobe => in right sided position.
- Patient CAN’T stand on his/her toes: Rupture of #ACHILLES tendon.
Pt can STAND on his/her toes but feel PAIN: Rupture of
- The main cause of Edema in Nephrotic Syndrome is Sodium
Retention, #NOT Hypoalbuminemia.
(The Hypoalbuminemia is LESS important contributor)
- Know the Difference:
Antibodies form #IN: Spleen.
Antibodies form #BY: Plasma Cells.
- Q fever:
The ONLY rickettsial disease WITHOUT a #rash.
The ONLY rickettsial disease NOT needing #vector for transmission.
- Nasal deformity + granuloma + Acid Fast Bacilli = Leprosy.
Nasal deformity + granuloma + hematuria & positive cANCA =
- Polycystic Kidney Disease:
The most common cause of Death is #ESRD Renal failure.
[Ruptured Berry Aneurysm (SAH) is NOT correct]
- Chronic hepatitis B is the most common cause of HCC worldwide
chronic hepatitis C being the most common cause in Europe.
- Location of Melanocytes in the skin: Stratum basalis (the deepest
layer of the five EPIdermis layers.)
- Fossa navicularis is the only part of male urethra that is NOT
lined by transitional epithelium. It is lined by nonkeratinized
- Down syndrome and Leukemia :
Younger than 5 year old > AML (M7 subtype)
Older than 5 year old > ALL
- Respiratory Bronchioles:
FUNCTIONALLY separate the Upper & Lower respiratory tract.
Lymphatic channels begin at this level & flow upward.
- History of Asbestos exposure: Mesothelioma.
History of Smoking: Bronchogenic carcinoma.
History of BOTH (Smoking + Asbestos exposure): Bronchogenic
- The Key feature of SHOCK is TISSUE HYPOPERFUSION, not a
specific level of systemic arterial Blood Pressure.
- The most ACCURATE noninvasive index of core temperature is
(Esophageal > Rectal > Oral)
52) Syndromes & Congenital Heart Defect:
Down ⇒ AVSDs.
Turner ⇒ Coarctation of Aorta.
Marfan ⇒ Aortic Aneurysm.
Williams ⇒ Aortic stenosis.
Noonan ⇒ Pulmonary stenosis.
- Xlinked recessive diseases:
Males ALWAYS Cases, NEVER Carriers.
Females ALWAYS Carriers, NEVER Cases.
- Oral Cavity:
Premalignant #conditions = Submucous Fibrosis & Lichen planus.
Premalignant #Lesions = Erythroplakia & Leukoplakia.
- Infarction of the pituitary as seen in Sheehan’s syndrome produces
coagulative (#NOT liquefactive) necrosis.
The EARLIEST sign of Salicylate (Aspirin) toxicity is often
Hyperventilation & Respiratory Alkalosis.
If NO such Option: Select “Tinnitus”
- Location of Melanocytes in the skin: Stratum basalis (the deepest
layer of the five Epidermis layers) OR in another word “Melanocytes
are Present in Epidermis.
- The Hippocampus is the first area to be damaged during global
- Embryological origin of the tongue:
Ant 2/3rd 1st branchial arch.
Post 1/3rd 3rd & 4th branchial arches.
Muscles Occipital myotomes.
- Hypertensive arteriolar sclerosis can cause lacunar infarcts:
Pure Motor stroke post limb of internal capsule.
Pure Sensory stroke VPL/VPM of Thalamus.
- Chronic hepatitis B is the most common cause of HCC worldwide.
- The first nerve to get affected in Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis. CN VI
- Fall on out stretched hand, most common nerve to be lesioned =
Median (Lunate displacement)
- Regarding TB:
#ghon Complex ONLY in #primary T.B.
#cavitation ONLY in #secondary T.B.
Calcification, Positive PPD, Caseating granuloma in BOTH
- The appendix is the Most Common site for carcinoid tumor.
For more, please download the above-mentioned file. 🙂
We hope that you find these high-yield FCPS Part 1 Pearls useful for your preparation. 🙂