Here’s a close-up look at more than 800 cutting, clamping, grasping, retracting, and other surgical instruments. Full-color photographs of the individual surgical instruments and their tips help you learn to distinguish among them.
Thoroughly revised and updated, the 2nd Edition provides a more detailed analysis of the similarities and differences between instruments as well as more focused coverage of robotic, laparoscopic, arthroscopic, and thoracoscopic instruments. You’ll also find a new BONUS CD-ROM and a wealth of Instructor and Student Resources online at DavisPlus.
- More than 800 instruments and tips associated with official names, common nicknames, and descriptions of instrument features, categories, and uses:
- Common types of clamping, grasping, cutting, and retracting instruments.
- Instruments for specialized procedures (such as bowel, thyroid or breast surgery).
- Cutting loops, and the parts that make up cytoscopes and resectoscopes.
- Orthopedic drills and saw blades.
- Instruments used in microscopic and endoscopic surgery.
- Organization based on surgical specialties.
- “Surgical Sessions” provide chapter review questions and critical thinking scenarios.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- NEW! BONUS CD-ROM (See details below).
- NEW! An entirely new professional photography program featuring more than 1,400 full-color photographs that clearly show full views and distinctive features of surgical instruments.
- NEW! Chapter 2, Laparoscopic Instruments.
- EXPANDED! Coverage of endoscopic instruments within each specialty.
- NEW! Photographs of examples of instrument sets, mayo stands, and back table setups.
- NEW!“Second Look” boxes encourage readers to reconsider the unique features of instruments that, at first glance, may be commonly confused.
- MORE! More detailed categorization of instruments according to type.
- NEW! Chapter 5 on Robotic Instruments.
- NEW! Chapter 13, Instrument Trays and Setups.
- Interactive Exercises including…
- “Differentiations” game prompts you to identify the correct instrument from groups of similar-looking instruments.
- “Mayo Set-up” asks you to choose the correct instruments for various procedures.
- Flash cards test your instrument name and spelling knowledge.
- Interactive Animation asks you to choose and assemble the appropriate knife blade and knife handle.
- Quiz Show trivia game poses challenging questions and keeps score.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- General Instruments/ Staplers
- Laparoscopic Instruments
- OB-GYN Instruments
- Urology Instruments
- Robotic Instruments
- Orthopedic Instruments
- Neurosurgical Instruments
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Instruments
- Dental and Maxillofacial Instruments
- Ophthalmologic Instruments
- Vascular, Thoracic, and Cardiac Instruments
- Plastic Surgery Instruments
- Instrument Trays and Setups
Appendix: Answers to Surgical Session Quizzes